World Mooching

Old old old old blog. New one here. www.dansiron.co.uk

Monday, April 23, 2007

23rd April 2007


Well I have nearly been back a week and I am getting itchy feet!


Firstly though, let me say thanks to all of the people that heave either put me up for a couple of nights, or have offered. I am not very good when it comes to accepting offers of kindness but I want you all to know that it is very, very much appreciated. Add to that the difficulty in getting my snapped off tooth fixed and it looks like I might be hanging around for a while.

The reason for my coming back to the UK was for histories most ridiculous doctors appointment at 3:50 on Friday. By 4:40 I was beginning to think that the waiting room was very well named indeed. Getting beyond fed up, I was thinking about heading for the door, when the doctor came back and lead me to an office. After discussing what the surgeon said in his report, this doctor stated that I did have a degenerative back problem. Well, no sh*t Sherlock! He also said that if I was "desperate" to continue operationally, then he wouldn't be able to rule it out on medical grounds. So pretty much as expected. On the one hand, he said that I was a greater risk of more frequent back difficulties, but on the other hand I might be able to manage a few more years. He effectively managed to not contradict the more highly qualified surgeon, yet at the same time tell me that if I was prepared to take the risk of more pain, then he could let me carry on. Very good of him eh? So we know what the fire service will do with that info..... ignore the risks and try to shovel me out through a loophole! Cheers! And to think that all I have to do is be "desperate" to be operational and then not moan when I get injured as it is my fault, thereby absolving the fire service of any responsibility. Best job in the World! To make matters more farcical, I was unable to get out of the building and get away from him as he had left the appointment so late that security had locked all of the doors and we were trapped in the building. Quite aptly I made my egress through the fire escape.

On to more pleasing things. I dropped in on the hospitality of John, Sarah, Harry and brand new Carter in Dronfield on my way up North. The jet lag soon kicked in and I soon until late morning. I did manage some sleep on the journey from Auckland, mostly in economy, but I was looking forward to some quality rest on the leg from Dubai to Gatwick, but I was sat next to a very nice, but very talkative woman! Neither of us could get the media jobby working properly and kept looking mystified at each other when the film turned to various different languages! And my Dad asks me for advice when he breaks his computer! I pity the fool!

Up to York and a couple of nights with Fen and Missus Fen. After busting Fen out for a couple of beers in the Marcia I was a little tipsy! Good old English beer! Can I also add that Fen still cooks a mean bacon buttie, after all, I trained him well. I even called Psycho and told him that I wished West Ham all of the best when facing the mighty Everton. I wished later that I hadn't as The Hammers romped through and might have dented our European aspirations, albeit for the saving grace of the other European hopefuls doing just as rubbish as The Toffees. Next post coming right up.

Dan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home