World Mooching

Old old old old blog. New one here. www.dansiron.co.uk

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The New York Stock Exchange

I think This is Broadway but I can't remember.


Brooklyn Bridge from the East River.


Ground Zero.



The Pictures by the children of the people from the Twin Towers.


August 2nd 2006.
Today was supposed to be the hottest day of the heat wave and I could tell. I walked to 42nd street subway to head downtown to the financial district. The news reported that the temperature was up to 100 degrees again and that the humidity was so high that it would feel like 115. It did. I was drenched from head to foot by the time I walked to the station. Although it is 42nd street station, the stop that I got on at is on 40th, just by the Bryant Park. I am staying 38th so it is only two blocks. The subway station was even hotter but luckily the carriages are air conditioned. After a change at 4th street, I arrived at the site of the World Trade Center (re). I was sat next to some Americans on the train and they were asking me for advice about which stop to get off and which direction to head in. I explained that I have never been here and only arrived on Friday and they asked me about where I was from and where I am going next etc. When I told them, they looked really excited and waffled on about how great it must be. Then they asked me again which stop they should get off at! Have you ever had the feeling you weren’t being listened to? Don’t answer that Mum!


It surprised me that the World Trade Center (re) subway station is slap bang on the site. I know that makes sense but I thought it would be away from the construction. Inside the station you walk up some steps and there you are in a kind of hallway that is there as a memorial to the dead. There wasn’t really that much to signify the damage and devastation except the collection of pictures by the children of people who lost their lives. It was understated and I think it was perfect. I expected lots of emotional pictures and testimonies but I was impressed that it wasn’t overdone at all. You can see Ground Zero through the scaffolding but I couldn’t get a good enough view. I followed the walkway that lead towards the Hudson river and found a spot to get a picture. It looked just like a construction site, which of course is exactly what it is. I didn’t hang around too long as the sweat was drowning me again. I took myself to a shopping mall in the site. They showed the plans and models of the new building. I think I should come back to New York when it is built and when it is cooler. As I was walking through the mall, people inside were either looking soaked and flustered like me or snottily looking down their noses at us “sweaters”! I am getting fed up of being this hot. I would rather stay in the hotel with the air conditioning than go outside! How bad is that? I considered buying a new t-shirt to put on when I needed to look less disgusting but decided against it as my bag is fit to burst without new stuff.

I wandered down the riverside to Battery Park and felt a touch of a breeze but not much. Took off my shirt to have a rest and let the shirt dry in the sun for a bit. When I couldn’t stand it any longer I wandered to Pier A and jumped on the Liberty Lady Island Tour. I took off my shirt again so that I could cool off and let the shirt dry out a bit. I know that I can get warm and sweat in a freezer but this is something totally new to me. The shirt was drying nicely on a small table that was honestly too hot touch from the sun. Then popped up Mr “ I got a uniform and a badge” Jobsworth. Despite the ridiculous heat and the fact that everyone was suffering, this moron insisted that I put my shirt on again during the tour. 50 minutes of blazing heat and this idiot insists on wearing of shirts because “he has rules to enforce!” He worked on the boat and disappeared back into his air conditioned hut, keeping a watchful eye on everyone.

The tour was great and went from the Pier to Manhattan bridge and then out past Liberty Island, Governors Island and Ellis Island. I really enjoyed it and it was great to be on the river. I took my camera by the way this time.

When I got off the boat I looked for somewhere to eat but I seem to have an ability to avoid every diner in New York, just McDonalds everywhere! So I walked into the financial district to find Wall Street. The guide on the boat told us that it is named Wall Street as the Dutch built a huge protective wall when they settled here in 1600 and something. We, the English ripped it down when we got here. Those Dutch people must be terrified that we still like tearing down walls. Perhaps we should keep reminding them that they rely on walls to stop their country becoming the new Atlantis next time we play them in the World Cup? Would we miss the Dutch? How many windmills and red light stag weekends does Europe need? We could save the ones we like in a mass evacuation into Germany. We could all chip in to help “pass the dutchie”. Bad, I know but I have heat stroke. Did I mention it is hot here?

Went to Wall street and took a few photos. Jumped on the subway and went back to my hotel. After an hour or two cooling I am going to try and put this rubbish on the Blog. After that I will go to Planet Hollywood for my tea and then, just for a change, go to a few bars before I get ready for my last day in New York. I am sure that there is loads more that I should do and see but I will have to leave that for my next visit. I will let you know if I spot any sweaty celebrities in Planet Hollywood.

3rd August 2006
Update. Planet Hollywood was awful. Hot and crap food! Didn't expect anything more!

Sat in the park again and nit is starting to rain. Will run off in a mo.. might try and stay below one of the umbrellas! Going to Canada tomorrow to see Toby and Shannon, my ex-next door neighbours! Will be great to see them again!

More soon ...................

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i feel i can chip in here, You should have gone to china town from battery park as it's literally just round the corner. lush food out there , we found a great resteraunt and everyone was fab.

reading your blog about NYC made me miss it so much. i want to go back!
*i refuse to be jelous, i refuse to be jelous*

Storm

9:02 AM  
Blogger International Man of Apathy said...

Don't be jealous Storm!!

I will go back myself when the weather is cooler and I might share your enthusiasm!!

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home